After being picked up from your hotel, we'll make our way towards the Matanuska Glacier where you will spend over 2 hours directly on the glacier with a glacier guide by your side, learning how the Matanuska Glacier was born and how it shaped the landscape in the Matanuska Susitna Valley. Explore blue meltwater pools, the ice formations and deep crevasses.
Walking on ice is slippery fun, so our guests are equipped with a helmet, a walking stick and crampons that attach to your shoes. We require our guests to bring sturdy footwear and suggest that you bring an extra pair of socks.
Don't be surprised that your shoes get filthy with glacial flour. This glacial till is finely ground rock the glacier has created - it makes for great facials! This tour does require walking for about 2 hours. Our fully-guided transportation includes a pick up at your hotel in Anchorage as well as water and snacks in the touring vehicle.
We will also stop for lunch where we'll overlook the glacier while enjoying some yummy Alaskan fare.
Hotel Name Request: Please provide us with the name of the hotel you will be staying at in Anchorage. This will let our operator know where to pick you up on the day of your tour.
Please note: This tour requires 2 hours of walking on uneven ground.
Duration: 8 hours (Roundtrip from hotel.)
- Roundtrip transportation from hotel
- Entrance tickets
- Must be able to walk 2 hours on uneven ground
Duration: 8-8.5 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 8 hour narrated tour
- Up to 30 minutes transportation
- This tour meets in front of your hotel. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility accessible. Guests must be able to climb 4 steps into and out of the bus. There is limited space for collapsible wheelchairs and walkers. There is no storage availble for motorized scooters. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for collapsible equipment will be required on tour.
Is lodging included in the tour pacakage?
Yes, accommodations are provided for each overnight along the tour, noted in bold within the page description.
Are food and drink included?
A lunch is included on this tour.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!