On this White Pass railway and city tour, you'll start by boarding a vintage rail car and retracing the original route up to the Yukon's White Pass Summit. The world-famous narrow gauge White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad promises an unforgettable sightseeing tour along the eastern side of the White Pass as you follow the steps of early gold seekers. This iron trail was built over 100 years ago through some of the North's most rugged terrain.
On arrival at the summit, board a motorcoach for a narrated tour back to Skagway. Your driver/guide will share stories of hardships and daily life struggles the stampeders faced and point out the historical areas of Brackett Wagon Road, Pitch Fork Falls, Dead Horse Gulch and the infamous Tormented Valley.
Upon arriving in Skagway, you can be dropped off to explore the town area or return back to the pier.
Please note: Passports or US passport cards ARE required for this tour. Passenger coaches are heated and are equipped with restrooms. All passengers are required to climb five steep steps onto the train car.
Photo stops during the bus portion of this tour are both weather and time dependent and no stops can be guaranteed. Sometimes this tour operates in reverse.
Duration: 4 hours (Roundtrip transportation from cruise ship terminal. White Pass train: 2 hours.)
- Roundtrip transportation from cruise ship terminal
- A valid passport or a US passport card is required for all guests on this tour
- All passengers are required to climb five steep steps onto the train car - this tour is not equipped with a wheelchair lift
Duration: 4 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 15 minutes transport to rail depot
- 2 hours Skagway White Pass Railroad journey to Fraser, BC
- 15 minutes transfer from train to motorcoach
- 1.25 hours transfer by motorcoach to Skagway with photo stops
- This tour meets at the Small Boat Harbor. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility and wheelchair accessible. Guests with limited mobility must be able to climb 4 steps into and out of the bus. There is limited space for collapsible wheelchairs, walkers and collapsible scooters. There is an ADA compliant train car which can be requested as long as advance notice is given. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for collapsible equipment will be required on tour.
Do I need a passport for this tour?
Yes, a valid passport is required for all guests on this tour.
Is this tour a train ride in both directions?
No, this tour is a scenic train trip in one direction and a scenic bus ride in the other direction.
What is the seating arrangement on the train?
Each rail car holds approximately 43 passengers, and you will be assigned your car and seat upon checking in at the White Pass and Yukon Route main office.
Are there any physical requirements for this tour?
Guests must be able to climb several steps into the train and bus. This tour is not wheelchair accessible.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Dress for the weather. Layered clothing is recommended, it is possible for slight temperature drops due to elevation, however the train cars are heated.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
There are no age restrictions for this tour.
Can I bring a backpack?
Backpacks, small bags, and purses are allowed on this tour.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Non-alcoholic beverages in a closeable containters and snacks are allowed on tour.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!