Get to know Alaska's first capitol and experience this unique city through our Sitka Bears, Brewery, and Historical Tour. Your excursion begins as you board your comfortable full-size passenger van and will head south on Sitka's road system.
Along the way we might spot bald eagles in the tree tops and Sitka Black Tail deer grazing on brush. We'll contour Silver Bay, a body of water surrounded by high mountains. In the later months Humpback and Minke whales can sometimes be seen here. Although wildlife sightings are not guaranteed, keep your camera ready for a myriad of photo opportunities.
Near the end of the road system we'll arrive at The Fortress of the Bear, a non-profit rescue facility which allows you get within 25 feet of Seven Alaska's bears in a naturalized setting. We'll get up close and personal with our four rescued beautiful Alaskan Coastal Brown Bears and three Black Bears.
After spending time with our bears, we will travel to Sitka's first and only brewery, Bananof Island Brewery (BIBCO). Here guests can sample a variety of handcrafted beers, brewed with our very own temperate rain forest water. Enjoy flavors from the expected to the unexpected, such as Silver Bay IPA and seasonal editions like Spruce Tip Ale, brewed from our locally harvested Sitka Spruce. Depending on taste and age, BIBCO's delicious homemade root beer is also available. Enjoy sampling in a family friendly tasting room.
Next, you'll visit the Sitka National Historical Park, where a battle between the Sheetka Kwan Kiksadi Clan and Russian American troops was fought during the 19th century. This protected area of temperate rain forest stretches out to a peninsula and offers multiple, easily accessible trail loops that contour Indian river and the Eastern Channel waters. The park hosts totem lined trails, cultural exhibits and carving rooms where native Alaskan artisans demonstrate their totemic art form. Our guests can choose to walk the nature trail, visit to cultural exhibits center which offers a video presentation or talk with local native artists about their cultural art forms and traditional techniques.
Duration: 2 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal.)
- Roundtrip transportation
- Admission to Fortress of the Bears
- Three 5oz samples of beer OR one pint of homemade root beer
- Photo ID is required for guests interested in sampling beer
Duration: 2 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 30 minutes roundtrip narrated scenic drive
- 30 minutes at the Fortress of the Bears
- 20 minutes at the Baranof Island Brewery
- 10 minutes for photo stops
- 30 minutes at the Sitka National Historical Park
- This tour meets in front of the Harrigan Centennial Hall. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or scooter accessible. We can accommodate a foldable walker and we offer a step stool for easy acess in and out of our vehicles. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for a foldable walker and a stool will be required on tour.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
There are no age restrictions for this tour.
Can I bring a backpack?
Backpacks, small bags, and purses are allowed on this tour.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Non-alcoholic beverages in a closeable containters and snacks are allowed on tour.
Are food and drink included?
Three 5 oz beer samples OR one pint of homemade root beer is included.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!