The Ketchikan rainforest canopy zipline is an adventure for the whole family! This excursion is consistently rated as one of the best things to do in Ketchikan.
Enter the Eagle Creek fly-zone, the ultimate nature experience! Imagine the thrill of gliding through the top of a rich rainforest canopy along a series of eight dual cable ziplines and navigating three aerial bridges suspended between tall spruce, hemlock and cedar trees, bordering the magnificent Tongass National Forest. This major rainforest reserve embraces one of Alaska's richest salmon spawning streams and a pristine inter-tidal estuary. Abundant wildlife habitat includes a high concentration of bald eagles, black bear, and a variety of other species.
At Herring Cove your all-terrain custom 4x4 Unimog will transport you up a steep rainforest hillside to the canopy chalet. Here your professionally trained guides outfit you with state of the art safety equipment and provide a detailed orientation prior to zipping from the first platform.
Your rainforest canopy challenge features a flight over eight ziplines and three suspension bridges; 6,000 feet of high tension cables and ground-based nature trails. Your guides will progressively ease you into the forest canopy along cables ranging from a short 100 feet to the 850 foot pulse pounding "Ben's Revenge". Guests often see eagles and bears from the tree platforms. Discover Eagle Creek Falls, and cross three hanging sky bridges; all offering breathtaking views of the virgin forest below. You will be up to 135 feet above the forest floor. Throughout this award-winning adventure you will be surrounded by the sights and sounds of the rainforest wildlife reserve. Although wildlife sightings are frequent, they cannot be guaranteed. The Eagle Creek course is for those who have already experienced ziplining or are seeking new challenges.
The final zipline emerges from the rainforest and transports you over lush grassy wetlands to a viewing tower, 55 feet above ground. Descend stairs and gear-down at the base camp, where you will be presented with a custom cast medal in recognition of your achievement. Upon completion of this once in a lifetime experience, enjoy a complimentary snack and hot beverage, view your photograph and shop in the General Store. A narration is provided on the scenic 16 mile round-trip coastal drive to the reserve.
Included: All necessary gear including harnesses, helmets, lanyards, gloves, and rain gear is provided. Complimentary snack, coffee, tea and hot chocolate in general store. Achievement medal awarded at conclusion of tour.
Please note: Weight min 90 lbs, max 250 lbs. Height must be over 60 inches. Minors can go without parents as long as there is an 18 year-old supervisor. Full use of limbs required. Pregnant women, guests with injuries/seizure disorders are not permitted to participate. Waiver required. Closed toe shoes required.
Duration: 3.5 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal - Liquid Sunshine Rain Gauge.)
- All safety equipment and zipline gear (helmet, chest and waist harness, and zipline pulley)
- Rain jackets available if needed
- Complimentary snack, coffee, tea and hot chocolate
- Achievement medal
- Roundtrip transportation
- Minors must be accompanied by an adult
- Minimum weight: 90lbs
- Maximum weight: 250lbs
- Minimum height: 60 inches
- Participants who do not have full use of limbs, suffer from neck or back issues, have mobility limitations, women who may be pregnant or guests with injuries/seizure disorders should obtain medical advice and release from their physician prior to participating.
- Closed toe shoes (sneakers, hiking or rain boots)
- Long pants and layered clothing recommended
- Liability waiver must be completed by all participants. Relatives other than the actual parents or legal guardians cannot accompany nor sign the waiver for a minor by law. A parent or legal guardian must sign the required waiver for minor children and must accompany and actively participate in the tour.
Duration: 3.5 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 20 minutes narrated scenic drive from Ketchikan to the zipline canopy chalet
- 5 minutes transfer to outfitting chalet in unimog
- 30 minutes safety orientation, zipline instruction, restroom and gear up
- 1 hour and 40 minutes on zip course
- 15 minutes gear removal
- 20 minutes for gift shopping or visit to totem park
- 20 minutes transfer to cruise ship pier
- This tour meets at the Liquid Sunshine Rain Gauge. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible.
- Guests must be able to raise their arms above their head, bring their knees toward their chest and stand unassisted for 90 minutes.
Do I need prior ziplining experience to participate?
No experience is necessary for this tour, and beginners as well as experts are welcomed!
Are there any physical requirements for this tour?
Partipants should be comfortable with heights and able to walk on uneven trails. This tour is not recommended for people who are pregnant, have had recent neck/back injuries or surgery, are in a wheel chair or over 250lbs in weight.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Layered clothing, long pants and weather appropriate dress is recommended. Closed toe shoes (sneakers, hiking or rain boots) are required; sandals and other open toe footwear is not permitted.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
Children must be at least 60 tall and weigh a minimum of 90lbs.
Can I bring a backpack?
All backpacks, bags, and purses are are required to be placed in lockers (provided) and are not allowed on the zipline tour. Personal cameras and video devices are allowed while ziplining.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Food and beverage are not allowed on tour.
Are food and drinks included?
No, food and drinks are not included on this tour.
Want to learn more about our zipline tours?
Check out our blog for more details on all of the zipline tours we offer: https://alaska-shoreexcursions.com/blog/alaska-zipline-tours!
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!