This hovercraft tour is a unique and exciting way to experience Ketchikan's local beaches, see wildlife, and enjoy breathtaking scenery. Your excursion will start immediately at the cruise ship dock where you will jump aboard a Blackbird Hovercraft and enjoy a narrated tour en route to a local Alaska State Park beach.
Once ready to take off, our hovercraft won't touch the ground and you will fly about 20 inches above the water. During the ride, our tour guide will describe the operations of this "air cushion" vehicle and what makes a hovercraft eco-friendly. The pilot will take you over gentle waves and along the jagged shoreline before flying your craft from the water to the beach.
Make sure to have your cameras ready as the hovercraft transitions from sea to land. Keep an eye out for local wildlife and enjoy the great Alaskan scenery. Pulling up onto the shore will be the ultimate display of what makes a hovercraft such a unique vessel. Once ashore, guests will get an opportunity to step out onto the remote beach and walk around the beautiful shoreline while taking in the scenery.
Your excursion concludes with a 25-minute return hovering back to the pier going around the front of Pennock Island, along the channel with Ketchikan to your right. Narration about the Saxman Native Totem Village, the local Coast Guard, Ketchikan living, and the historic downtown area will be provided by your tour guide.
Duration: 1.25 hours (Tour meets at the cruise ship terminal.)
- Ride on a hovercraft
- Beach and Coastal exploration
- State Park admission fee
- Binoculars are available on the vessel
- Bottled water and snack bars are available
- Wear proper beach footwear and raingear if needed
Duration: 1.25 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 10 minutes safety briefing and load hovercraft
- 10 minutes ride to local beach
- 30 minutes beach combing, walk around beach, and picture opportunity
- 25 minutes marine wildlife veiwing and narrated drive back to pier
- This tour meets at the cruise ship terminal in front of Berth 3. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is not wheelchair or limited mobility accessible. Guests traveling with wheelchairs, or walkers are not recommended for this tour. Guests must be able to take 3-4 steps into and out of the hovercraft.
How many passengers does the hovercraft hold?
There is a maximum of 6 passengers per fully enclosed hovercraft.
Are there restrooms on the hovercraft?
No, the hovercraft is not equipped with restroom.
Will I see any wildlife on this tour?
Wildlife is abundant in Southeast Alaska and sightings are possible on any tour, however this is not a designated wildlife watching tour and nothing can be guaranteed!
Are there any age restrictions for children?
There are no age restrictions for this tour.
Do infants need a ticket?
Yes, all bodies on board count are counted by the USCG, thus they all need a ticket.
Can I bring a backpack?
Backpacks, small bags, and purses are allowed on this tour.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Non-alcoholic beverages in a closeable containters and snacks are allowed on tour.
Are food and drink included?
Bottled water and snack bars are available.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!