Travel the route of the Trail of '98 from behind the wheel of a comfortable and spacious Hummer H3 SUV. This limited, exclusive excursion will allow you to enjoy the scenery and history of the Klondike Gold Rush at a leisurely pace. Your small group of explorers will set out in comfort on an adventure from Skagway into the Yukon Territory via the famous routes taken by the hardy gold prospectors in the late 1800's. You'll be driving your Hummer into the heart of the rugged wilderness made famous by fabled gold rush legends Robert Service and Jack London.
Your experienced tour guide, in the lead vehicle, will entertain you with tales of the gold rush era via an interactive, two-way radio system. Driving your own Hummer provides you the freedom, comfort and relaxation of exploring the Klondike Gold Rush routes from a bygone era in an intimate way. This adventure allows you to experience the beauty of Skagway and the Yukon Territory away from the crowds.
Your guide will lead your caravan to destinations such as Pitchfork Falls, Moore Bridge, Dead Horse Gulch, Bracket Wagon Trail, and Tormented Valley. Additionally, you will visit the historic village of Carcross, named after the narrow Caribou crossing at the headwaters of the mighty Yukon River. After a short break, your caravan will travel to The World's Smallest Desert, and finally, the highlight of this adventure, Emerald Lake, known for its vivid turquoise water. You will also enjoy an Alaskan style snack prior to hearing the story of Jefferson Randolph "Soapy" Smith", Skagway's most notorious outlaw, on your return trip to Skagway. This spellbinding adventure crosses an international border. You must bring your Passport and driver's license. Remember to take along a camera and some friends for this five-hour adventure.
Included: Traditional Alaskan snacks and water.
Please note: Passport is required for this tour. If you're interested in driving during the tour, you must be at least 25 years old with a valid driver's license and current auto insurance.
Duration: 5.25 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal.)
- Roundtrip transportation
- Snack of water, reindeer sausage, salmon pate, cheese, crackers and mints.
- Low physical activity is required.
- Drivers must be at least 25 years old with a valid license and current insurance.
- Minimum age and weight are 5 years old and 40 lbs. Children from 5-8 will require a booster seat which is available upon request and subject to availability.
- Valid Passport is required. Minors under 18 must be accompanied by at least one parent or guardian. If only one participates, the participating parent or guardian must present a consent form signed by the non-participating parent or legal guardian granting permission for the minor to cross the border in his or her absence.
Duration: 5.25 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 15 minutes transfer from ship to base camp, orientation, release form and load into Hummers
- 1.75 hours follow lead guide to Carcross with scenic stops and through Canadian customs
- 30 minutes stop at Carcross with chance to visit attractions
- 1 hour scenic drive to Carcross Desert & Emerald Lake
- 1.75 hours drive back to Skagway base camp with scenic stops and US customs.
- 15 minutes transfer from base camp to ship
- This tour meets a short distance from your cruise ship. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
Do I need my passport?
Yes! Minors under 18 must be accompanied by at least one parent or guardian. If only one participates, the participating parent or guardian must present a consent form signed by the non-participating parent or legal guardian granting permission for the minor to cross the border in his or her absence.
How many passengers are in each Hummer?
Each Hummer H3 can hold a maximum of 4-5 passengers.
Do the Hummers have manual or automatic transmissions?
All Hummers are equiped with automatic transmissions.
Does everyone get to drive?
Yes! There are several photo stops along the way for all qualified drivers to swap so everyone that wants to will get a turn.
How do I communicate with the guides?
All Hummers are equipped with 2-way CB radios that will allow the guide to communicate with you and vice versa.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
Bald eagles and their nests, herons, shorebirds and waterfowl are all common sights. Porpoises and even humpback whales occasionally surface for air, however this is not a designated wildlife tour and nothing can be guaranteed.
Can I bring a backpack?
Yes, small bags and backpacks are allowed.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Food and drink are not allowed during this tour.
Are food and drink included?
Yes, a snack consisting water, reindeer sausage, salmon pate, cheese, crackers and mints is provided.
Are there any physical requirements for this tour?
Low physical activity is required, and there is a minimum age and weight of 5 years old and 40 lbs. Children from 5-8 will require a booster seat which is available upon request and subject to availability.
What type of clothing should I wear?
We recommend you bring your own raingear for inclement weather days.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!