Beginning in Skagway, guests will board the Fast Ferry for a scenic and narrated ride to Haines. Upon arrival, guests will be greeted by their professional kayak guide to embark on their ocean kayaking adventure.
A brief walk from the ferry pier will take guests over to the beach where the two person kayaks await. The sea conditions and weather will determine which of the variety of ocean paddles guests will choose. A personal flotation device will be fitted to each guest, as well as spray skirts & ponchos, if needed. After a brief safety and equipment introduction and orientation, guests will be led out paddling with their guide.
Guests will be out on the water for around 2 hours. Guests have spotted eagles, sea lions, seals, dall porpoise, humpback whales and other marine wildlife during their paddle. The guide, an expert naturalist, will share their knowledge of the fjord, marine wildlife and local geography. At some point, the group will make a stop along a remote beach in order for guests to stretch their legs and enjoy the stunning beauty of Southeast Alaska with their waterside picnic-style lunch.
In any instance where ocean conditions are not suitable, the group will head to a backup location on Chilkoot Lake, about a 30-minute van ride along the Chilkoot River. The backup location is not lacking in beauty with its surrounding mountains, alpine waterfalls and salmon spawning beds.
Duration: 6.5 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal.)
- Roundtrip transportation from cruise ship terminal
- All safety equipment and gear (kayak, paddle, spray skirt, PFD, rubber boots)
- Group size must be between 3 and 12 participants
- Dress in comfortable layers
- This is a physical activity and recommended for guests in able physical and mental states
- Minimum age: 8 years old
- Guests over 275lbs or 6'6" in height may not fit comfortably in kayaks
- The primary location for this tour is the ocean. If the weather prevents safe kayaking on the ocean, the backup location is Chilkoot Lake, a scenic freshwater lake
Duration: 6.5 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 10 minutes meet on pier, complete waivers, guides answer any questions
- 15 minutes transfer by van and then a short walk to the small boat harbor
- 45 minutes Catamaran ferry ride to Haines with live presentation of local culture and natural history
- 15 minutes short walk to fast ferry dock where your 2-person kayaks will be waiting
- 15 minutes kayak orientation, saftey briefing and equipment fitting
- 2-3 hours paddling time based on conditions and group reference
- 30 minutes beachside picnic lunch
- 10 minutes short walk back to the fast ferry
- 50 minutes fast ferry ride back to Skagway and van transfer back to your ship
- This tour meets at the Small Boat Harbor. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
Who are my guides?
Experts in the industry, your guides are fun, well-trained and passionate about guiding and sharing their expert knowledge about the history and natural wonder of Haines and Skagway. The guides go through extensive training and hold current first-aid certification.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Layered clothing, long pants and weather appropriate dress is recommended.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
The minimum age to participate in this tour is 8 years old. Children younger and infants are not allowed.
Are food and drink included?
A picnic style lunch is provided after the paddling portion and before the return journey.
What if I have food allergies or dietary restrictions?
At the end of checkout, there will be a comments section provided to supply us and the operator with this information. Most dietary restrictions can be accommodated with alternative lunch options with advanced notice.
Is there a bathroom?
Yes. Restrooms are available on the dock prior to departing for each tour, on the ferry during travel to Haines and on the dock once you arrive in Haines.
Does this tour cancel due to weather?
This tour is set up to embrace Southeast Alaska's unpredictable weather and typically runs rain or shine. In the rare instance weather does cause a cancellation, guests are refunded in full and provided assistance with finding alternative activity for the day.
Not seeing the answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!