This Ketchikan Orcas Cove sea kayaking is a trip for those seeking a truly authentic Southeast Alaskan experience. Sea kayaking is the perfect way to enjoy the beauty and tranquility of the immense Tongass National Forest.
Guests will be met by guides just outside their ships to gather at the outfitting office. Our small group departs by boat from the heart of historic Ketchikan and travels to Orcas Cove location where guides and kayaks await; along the way guests can see historic downtown Ketchikan, Pennock Island and the Saxman Totem Pole Park from the water. From there, friendly guides will lead guests out in stable double kayaks to explore a salmon stream, rainforest island shorelines, sheltered coves and a unique and colorful inter-tidal area. While it is difficult to predict what we will see on any particular tour, the opportunity to see wildlife is abundant. The surrounding waters and islands are home to seals and sea lions, eagles, deer, and bears, with even the occasional humpback whale or orca sighting.
A snack of Alaskan smoked salmon and hot cocoa awaits guests upon their return to the mothership on Orcas Cove before returning to town by boat. The tour concludes at the floating office in downtown Ketchikan just a few minutes from your cruise ship.
Included: Spray jackets and rain pants when needed. Dry Bags for your cameras, binoculars to share, and hydrophones.
Please note: All participants will paddle in double sea kayaks. Triple kayaks may be available for families with younger children; please let us know if you would like to request a triple kayak. If there is an odd number in the group guests will be paired with another guest or a guide. The active kayaking time on this tour is about 2 hours. Sea kayaking requires a moderate level of physical activity and is not recommended for guests with back problems or limited upper body strength. In addition to paddling, guests need to be able to climb short sets of stairs; walk to the departure point; climb on and off the transport boats and descend a short ladder to get into the kayaks. Minimum age to participate is 6 years old. No kayaking experience is necessary for this trip.
Size Restrictions: To safely participate, guests must be able to fit into a spray skirt that is 55 inches around the chest and stomach area and be able to sit in a kayak seat that is 18 inches wide. Specially adapted kayaks are available for guests over 6'3" please let us know if one is required for your group.
Duration: 3 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal. Paddle time: 1.5-1.75 hours.)
- Waterproof outerwear, spray skirts (55 inches around chest and stomach area), life jackets, dry bags for cameras and personal items, safe place to store extra belongings. Snacks, hot beverages and bottled water.
- Please dress in several warm layers able to fit under a waterproof paddle jacket.
- Sneakers or waterproof boots are the best footwear: we get into kayaks from the dock or a raft so your feet will not get wet.
- Baseball cap or beanie, sunglasses & sunscreen.
- Minimum age: 6 years old
- Moderate physical activity is required. This tour is not recommended for guests with back problems or limited upper body strength. In addition to paddling, guests need to be able to climb short sets of stairs; walk to the departure point; climb on and off the transport boats and descend a short ladder to get into the kayaks.
Duration: 3 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 20 minutes safety orientation, equipment orientation and instruction
- 20 minutes boat transfer to main kayak boat.
- 1.5-1.75 hours kayaking tour
- 20 minutes boat transfer to Ketchikan
- This tour meets at the Liquid Sunshine Rain Gauge. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
Do we need prior kayaking experience?
No experience is necessary to participate on this tour.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
Wildlife is abundant in Southeast Alaska and sightings are possible on any tour, however this is not a designated wildlife tour and nothing can be guaranteed.
Are there any age restrictions?
Minimum age to participate is 6 years old.
Can I bring a backpack?
All bags must be stored prior to kayaking and are not allowed while on tour.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Food and drink are not allowed during this tour.
Are food and drink included?
No food or drink are included.
Are there any physical requirements for this tour?
Guests must be comfortable climbing steps and able to get in and out of the kayak. Please inform the guides about any other physical limitations.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Layered clothing that will fit underneath a waterproof paddle jacket and sneakers or waterproof boots.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!