Guests will be met by guides just outside their ship to gather at the outfitting office. There they will be set up with the necessary gear and helped into double sea kayaks for a brief lesson. Tide levels will allow kayakers to head straight into the historic Creek Street district, an active salmon stream overlaid with houses on stilts built in the 1920's.
Once in the Tongass Narrows, kayakers can witness life in a typical Alaskan fishing town with float planes gliding above, fishing boats heading out to sea and residents passing by on their boat commute to town, in true Alaskan style. Peering into the old growth trees above can reveal bald eagles and their nests, while gazing around will offer more inter-tidal life along the rocky shores. While it is difficult to predict what one may see on any particular day, the surrounding waters are home to seals and sea lions; humpback whales and orcas have made the occasional appearance.
Kayakers will return to the dock in the heart of downtown Ketchikan, where their cruise ship awaits a short walk away; or a bit further into Ketchikan's historic district, restaurants and shopping.
Guides will teach the basics of sea kayaking. No previous kayaking experience is required to enjoy this
family friendly adventure, however, all guests should be physically active and able to paddle. Double
kayaks with a center seat for 6
Duration: 2.25 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal. Paddle time: 1.75 hours.)
- Waterproof outerwear, spray skirts (55 inches around chest and stomach area), life jackets, dry bags for cameras and personal items, safe place for extra belongings.
- Minimum age: 6 years old
- Moderate physical activity is required. This tour is not recommended for guests with back problems or limited upper body strength. In addition to paddling, guests need to be able to climb short sets of stairs; walk to the departure point; climb on and off the transport boats and descend a short ladder to get into the kayaks.
- Layered clothing that will fit underneath a waterproof paddle jacket, baseball cap or beanie, sunglasses & sunscreen.
Duration: 2.25 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 20-30 minutes safety orientation, equipment orientation and instruction
- 1.75 hours kayaking tour
- This tour meets at the Liquid Sunshine Rain Guage. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
Do we need prior kayaking experience?
No experience is necessary to participate on this tour.
Will I see any wildlife or bears on this tour?
Wildlife is abundant in Southeast Alaska and sightings are possible on any tour, however this is not a designated wildlife tour and nothing can be guaranteed.
Are there any age restrictions?
Minimum age to participate is 6 years old.
Can I bring a backpack?
All bags must be stored prior to kayaking and are not allowed while on tour.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Food and drink are not allowed during this tour.
Are food and drink included?
No food or drink are included.
Are there any physical requirements for this tour?
Guests must be comfortable climbing steps and able to get in and out of the kayak. Please inform the guides about any other physical limitations.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Layered clothing that will fit underneath a waterproof paddle jacket and sneakers or waterproof boots.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!