Picture yourself behind a line of expertly trained and incredibly energetic sled dogs, flying through the forest. Dreams become reality on this excursion as you get to see these dogs in action and experience mushing firsthand! This is a summertime Juneau sled dog adventure, not on snow, that is fun for the entire family!
Before you take off on the sled equipped with wheels through the Tongass National Rainforest, you will get a chance to interact and play with the dogs. The base is known as the Musher's Camp and is the tour staging area where you get to meet the Mushers and hear their epic stories of racing and mushing across Alaska. Each has a unique history and connection with their dog mushing teams and you will see the bond they share when you get out on the trail.
The track is a full mile of fun, lined by the massive and impressive spruce and hemlock trees that make up the rainforest. Feel free to use your camera to capture your favorite moments as you ride behind the team of 16 strong and swift Alaskan huskies. Upon return to the camp, you will be offered snacks and an informative presentation by one of the experienced mushers about the iconic Iditarod race across Alaska. Don't forget to take some time to cuddle the puppies, wander the camp, or ask any questions about this unique Alaskan sport!
Please note: Child price is for 2-12 year olds. Infants 2 and under are free but they must ride on an adults lap.
Duration: 2.25 hours (Roundtrip from cruise ship terminal.)
- Roundtrip transportation to musher's camp base
- Hot and cold beverages
Duration: 2.25 hours. Tour times below are approximate:
- 1 hour roundtrip narrated transportation with beautiful Alaskan scenery
- 30 minutes mushing on the dog carts/meeting the team
- 30 minutes presentation of dogsledding history
- 20 minutes photo opportunities and sled dog puppy visits along with refreshments
- This tour meets in front of the Mt. Robert's Tramway building. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
ADA Accessibility of Tour:
- This tour is limited mobility accessible. Guests must be able to walk short distances and raise their knee 8 inches to accommodate steps into and out of the vehicles. There is limited space for collapsible wheelchairs and walkers. There is no storage availble for motorized scooters. Please leave a comment during checkout if accommodations for collapsible equipment will be required on tour.
Can I pet and play with the sled dogs?
Yes, the dogs love human interaction and the musher's will let you get close and snuggly with their team.
Do I get to drive the dogsled?
No, for safety reasons you will not have the opportunity to run the sled.
How many passengers ride in the sled together?
Each sled can accomodate 6 guests.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
There are no age restrictions for this tour.
Is there any weight restriction?
There is no weight limit for this tour. Guests must be able to walk short distances and raise the knee 12 inches to accommodate steps into and out of the vehicles.
Can I bring a backpack?
All bags must be stored at the prior to participatin on the sled ride part of the tour.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Non-alcoholic beverages in a closeable containters and snacks are allowed on tour.
Are food and drink included?
Hot and cold beverages are included.
Are there any physical requirements for this tour?
Guests must be comfortable walking short distances on uneven surfaces.
What type of clothing should I wear?
Layered and waterproof clothing are recommended.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!
Want to learn more about our dogsledding tours?
Check out our blog for more details on all of the dogsledding tours we offer: http://alaska-shoreexcursions.com/blog/alaska-dog-sled-tours!