This is an unguided experience that is especially appropriate for visitors who like getting off the beaten path and are comfortable in remote wilderness settings. Be prepared for a 4x4 experience that gets you out on dirt and gravel roads and may be bumpy and/or muddy, but nothing too extreme for the adventurous traveler.
Hoonah offers several restaurants, shops and artistic attractions; be sure to stop and pick up drinks, snacks and a lunch if you plan to spend the day exploring as there are no services upon leaving town but lots of great places for picnics. Once the paved road turns into dirt, there are two distinct directions to choose from and miles of roads and wilderness to venture into. Be sure to stop at your leisure to capture the countless photo opportunities.
One of the biggest draws is the chance to see wildlife like brown bear, deer, the many birds and small mammals that inhabit the island; be sure to keep an eye out for marine mammals as well as you drive along the coast. Take your time and enjoy seeing parts of Alaska that are seldom seen by non-locals.
TO BOOK: There are 2 Jeeps available per departure. A maximum of 5 passengers can be accommodated in each vehicle. Please select the number of jeeps you would like to book.
Duration of tour is determined by guest dependent on how long their ship is in port. Arrangements made for roundtrip transportation to and from Icy Strait Point Excursions Hub.
Please note: Independent exploration of Alaskan wilderness is bound to offer wildlife sightings; it's always good to remember that you are in brown bear country and that good bear sense needs to be exercised. Those wishing to hike should only do so in groups on established trails, make lots of noise and carry bear deterrents (provided). All Jeeps come equipped with a small cooler, bear spray and a SPOT tracking device/emergency beacon.
Duration: 2+ hours (Roundtrip from excursions hub.)
- Roundtrip transportation from Icy Strait Point Excursion Hub; pick-up is 30 minutes after ship arrival (unless otherwise arranged)
- All vehicles are equipped with Garmin GPS Navigational Devices and Spot satellite locating beacon. small cooler, bear deterrent spray, and a map of Hoonah
- Guests should dress in layers and bring appropriate rain gear to plan for Alaskan weather
- All drivers must be 25 years of age and present a valid drivers license
- Guests must return Jeep no less than 1 hour prior to ship departure
Duration: 2+ hrs. Tour times approximate
- 20 minutes roundtrip transportation to and from Excursions Hub
- 10 minutes of vehicle orientation and saftey briefing
- 2+ hours of self-guided driving exploration
- This tour meets at the Icy Strait Point Adventure Center. Fully detailed instructions are included on your finalized ticket vouchers.
Please note: Tour time is dependent on guest's ship itinerary. Pick-up is 30 minutes after ship arrival and guests must return Jeep to Staging Area no less than 1 hour prior to ship departure. Guests' exploration time can be any amount within those parameters.
Are there any age restrictions for children?
There are no age restrictions for this tour.
Can I bring a backpack?
All vehicles have a covered trunk area good for storaging a couple of backpacks.
Can I bring my own food or drink?
Non-alcoholic beverages in a closeable containters and snacks are allowed and even encouraged on the tour, depending on how long guests plan to explore.
Not seeing answers to your questions?
Check out other frequently asked questions here!